61 High Street Sandy
61 High Street April 2010
61 High Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in October 1979 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the early 19th century. It is built of brick with a roughcast render over it and comprises two storeys and attics beneath a slate roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sandy, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 61 High Street [DV1/C147/79] found it owned by Mark Young, a substantial landowner in Sandy and Willington, and in the occupation of C. A. Hendry. The property was then called Stanley Lodge.
The property stood in just under a rood of land and accommodation comprised two reception rooms, a kitchen, a scullery, a w. c. and a larder. A wine cellar lay beneath. Three bedrooms, a w. c. and a bathroom built over the yard lay on the first floor. Two small attics lay above that. Outside lay a heating shed measuring 5 feet by 5 feet 6 inches, an old wood and slate washhouse and sheds, an old wood and slate two stall stable, loose box and two sheds all used for storage, a small conservatory measuring 7 feet 6 inches by 12 feet and a brick and slate shed.