53 to 57 Bedford Road Sandy
53 to 57 Bedford Road March 2010
53, 55 and 57 Bedford Road, Sandy make an attractive welcome to the town for anyone entering via the Bedford Road through Mogerhanger or from the roundabout on the A1. They were listed by the former Department of Environment in December 1979 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated Number 57 to the 17th century. It has a roughcast exterior with mock timber framing and has two storeys under an old clay tile roof.
Number 53 and Number 55, the department considered, are probably 18th century. They form an L-shaped wing attached to the north gable end of Number 57. They have two storeys but are slightly lower. Both are built of brick, Number 53 being colour washed and Number 55 was left in its natural finish though this, too, has now been colour washed.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sandy, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 53 to 57 Bedford Road found the structure owned by Frederick William Hull of Cambridge Road.
Number 53 was occupied by L. W. peer who paid rent of £9/4/- per annum and occupied a living room, scullery and washhouse with two bedrooms above. Two timber and tiled barns and a brick and slated w. c. stood outside. The valuer commented: “old and dilapidated property”.
Number 55 was in the occupation of F. Cooper who also paid £9/4/- per annum in rent. He occupied a living room, scullery and washhouse with two bedrooms above. A brick and slated w. c. and barn stood outside. Again, the valuer commented that the dwelling was “old and dilapidated”.
Number 57 was occupied by Louisa Wiltshire who also paid £9/4/- per annum. She occupied two living rooms and a scullery with two bedrooms above. Outside stood a brick and slate w. c. and a barn. Once more the property was considered: “old and dilapidated”.