70 and 72 High Street Sandy
70 and 72 High Street April 2010
70 and 72 High Street are attractive old cottages near the railway station and were listed by the former Department of Environment in October 1979 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the properties to “probably” the 17th century. The structure is timber –framed and was refaced in the 19th century, Number 72 being further altered in the 20th century. The houses comprise a single storey with attics, Number 70 has an old clay tile roof whilst the roof of Number 72 is of concrete tiles.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sandy, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 70 and 72 High Street found Number 70 owned and occupied by W. H. Cope. The cottage comprised a living room, kitchen, and scullery with a cellar beneath and three bedrooms in the attics. Outside lay an earth closet, a wood and thatched barn, a wood and tiled shed, a wood and tiled barn and a wooden washhouse.
Number 72 was owned by W. H. McKelvey, an outfitter in the Market Square, and occupied by F. W. Dean, who paid rent of £14 per annum. Accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms in the attics. An earth closet and a range of old timber and thatched sheds lay outside. Water came from a tap in the yard. Dean also rented from Mckelvey an adjoining heated glasshouse measuring 22 feet by 34 feet and just over half an acre of arable land.