Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Kempston > Greys Education Centre Kempston

Greys Education Centre Kempston

Greys House July 2007
Greys House July 2007

Greys House Special School was created in by the local education authority, Bedfordshire County Council in 1975. It was named after the Manor of Kempston Greys, the alternative name for the Manor of Kempston Hastingsbury after 1389. The school was for a category of children then termed maladjusted, later renamed children with emotional and behavioural difficulties.

The school closed early in the 21st century. The buildings then formed Greys Education Centre. It was responsible for the education of all pupils throughout the county who were temporarily out of school due to permanent exclusion, long-term illness or admission to hospital.

On 1st April 2009 Bedfordshire County Council was abolished. Its functions in the north of the county were taken over by Bedford Borough Council. This was a district, or second tier, authority which was upgraded to a unitary council with both first and second tier responsibilities – a county and district council rolled into one. Thus Greys House now serves pupils just from within the Bedford Borough area.

The following list gives all the sources relating to Greys House School held by Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service. Due to the terms of the Data Protection Act records containing personal details of living individuals will be closed in total, or in part, depending on the nature of the information.

  • E/SE2/3/1: administration file on school: 1975-1983;
  • PY/E2/2/288: tenancy agreements: 1976-1978;
  • PY/PH192/3: photographs: 1977;
  • PY/E2/2/289: tenancy agreements: 1977-1981;
  • CA8/959: building maintenance file: 1977-1984;
  • E/TE3/5: staff details: 1981;
  • E/TE2/2/S/4: details on school: 1983;
  • E/Pu4/5/20: notes for parents on educational provision and admission arrangements: 1987