Toptrees - 40 and 42 High Street Toddington
Toptrees - 42 High Street March 2016
The semi-detached properties which made up 40 and 42 High Street were listed in 1980 by the former Department of the Environment as Grade II, of special interest. Described as originally built in the 17th century the building is of whitewashed roughcast and brick, with an old clay tile roof. To the left hand side (number 42) is a projecting gable with some exposed timber-framing. There is a later central lean-to and a modern porch, with modern casement windows with glazing bars.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. When the valuation for Toddington was carried out both properties were owned by Thomas W. Swift. The larger, left hand property (number 42) was vacant. Its accommodation was comprised of a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs and three bedrooms upstairs; outside were a brick and corrugated iron barn, and a brick, timber and tile coach house and loft. Number 40 was occupied by a Mrs Fowler at a weekly rent of 3s 6d. The house had a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs and two bedrooms upstairs. There were no outbuildings and the valuer described the house as "poor" [DV1/C85/23-24].