38 Market Square Toddington
38 Market Square March 2016
This house was listed by the former Department of the Environment as Grade II, of special interest. Originally built in the 17th century it has been extensively altered. It is of colour-washed brick, with a concrete tile roof and a first floor band. It has two casement windows and a modern ground floor shop front. Timber-framing is visible in the left hand gable end.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. At this time this was an end of terrace property constructed of brick and tile. Downstairs there was a living room, a kitchen and a store, with a shop consisting of one larger room of 10½ feet by 15 feet and a smaller one of 10½ feet by 5 feet. Outside buildings were a timber and corrugated iron oil store, cart hovel and barn. The valuer noted that it was a good shop but a "rotten" house [DV1/C85/48].
The property was owned and occupied by grocer William Cosson. Directories for the county were not published every year but every few years. Cosson is listed in directories for 1928 and 1931. The directory for 1936 lists Mrs Louisa F M Carbutt as a grocer at 38 Market Square, whilst the directory for 1940 lists Mrs Mary D Walhert, also a grocer. In 2015 38 Market Square housed the offices of Landers the Accountants.