32 and 34 Station Road Toddington
30-34 Station Road rear June 2015
Numbers 32 and 34 are the left hand and centre properties of a terrace of three houses. The third house, number 30, is a later addition. Numbers 32 and 34 were listed in 1980 by the former Department of the Environment as Grade II, of special interest; they were formerly listed as Grade III. Originally built in the 17th century they have since been altered. Timber-framing is exposed in the east gable end; the front is colour-washed with a brick ground floor and roughcast first floor. The roof is of concrete tile and the casements are modern.
32 and 34 Station Road March 2016
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. At this time both properties were owned by Miss Horley. Number 34 was rented by H. Childs for 3s per week (increased from 2s 6d per week pre-War); the tenant of number 32 was Charles Fleckney who paid the same rent as his neighbour [DV1/C82/118-119]. Both houses had a living room and kitchen downstairs and two bedrooms upstairs, with a brick and corrugated iron barn and earth closet outside. They were described as "poor".
34 Station Road north-east elevation June 2015