The Manor of Wadlowes
The arms of Dunstable Priory
Wadlowes Manor originated in the considerable estate acquired in Toddington by Dunstable Priory during the late 12th and 13th centuries. In 1291 this estate was valued at £1 6s in lands, meadow and rent and 13s.4d. in fruits and flocks. When the Priory was dissolved in 1540 the property was valued at £4.13s.4d. from which 14s.6d. was paid as an annual rent to the lord of Toddington. The estate was annexed to the Honour of Ampthill. In 1553 it was granted to Nicholas West who sold it a year later to John Burgess. In 1564 Wadlowes Manor was sold by Burgess's son Thomas to William Repyngton.
By 1597 the property was being held in two shares by the Johnson and Astrey families. In 1599 Richard Johnson released his share to Henry Astrey, the owner of the other half of Wadlowes Manor. The manor remained with the Astrey family until the 18th century when Francis Astrey D.D. left the manor to a kinsman of his mother's, Francis Penyston, who held Wadlowes in 1801. The property was sold to John Jennings before 1808, at which time only a few traces of buildings remained to mark the site of the manor house.
- AD366: Post-nuptial settlement by James Astrey of Great Rollright (Oxfordshire) and wife Anne, sister of Sir Thomas Peniston of Cornwell (Oxfordshire), 1676.
- AD392: Settlement for payment of debts of Sir James Astrey, 1693.
A small number of 16th century records relating to Wadlowes Manor are held by The National Archives.