Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Toddington > 10 High Street Toddington

10 High Street Toddington

10 High Street March 2016
10 High Street March 2016

The 18th century property at 10 High Street was listed in 1980 by the former Department of the Environment as Grade II, of special interest. Faced with colour-washed pebbledash, it has an old clay tile roof, hipped on the left.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. When 10 High Street was assessed in 1927 it was owned by Richard Lane and occupied by E. J. Hawes, who had been the tenant for three years at an annual rent of £19. The premises included a shop in two sections measuring 12 feet by 15 feet and 12 feet by 2 feet, two living rooms, a kitchen, and four bedrooms. Outside were a brick and tile coach house used as a workshop and a stable used for coal, with a brick and slate wash house. The valuer described the property as "very poor" [DV1/C85/42].

Kelly's Directory for 1928 tells us that Elijah James Hawes and Son were bootmakers. They are still listed in the last directory for the county, that of 1940. Directories of 1914, 1920 and 1924 list John Hawes as bootmaker.