Rhees Cottage - 13 Station Road Toddington
Rhees Cottage 13 Station Road June 2015
Rhees Cottage is a 17th century building with later alterations which in 1980 was listed by the former Department of the Environment as Grade II, of special interest. The gable end which faces the street and the north-east elevation are whitewashed brick; other elevations are timber-frame with brick nogging (Infill between the timbers). All the casement windows are modern.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. At the time the valuation was carried out for Toddington, Rhees Cottage was owned by Charles Sharp and occupied by a Miss Sharp at a rent of 3s 6d per week. With a living room and kitchen downstairs, two bedrooms upstairs, and a barn and earth closet outside, the valuer described it as a "poorish place" [DV1/C82/40]. A revaluation of the property in 1950 shows the earth closet had been replaced by a brick and concrete water closet. A wooden garage (with "awkward access") had been added, along with two wood and corrugated iron piggeries [See DV1/X503/84].
Sale particulars from 2015 list the accommodation provided by Rhees Cottage as:
- Living room, 11 feet 6 inches by 10 feet 8 inches, with tiled flooring, exposed brick wall with beamwork, exposed ceiling beam and feature fireplace;
- Dining room, 11 feet 6 inches by 11 feet four inches, with tiled flooring, exposed brick wall with beamwork, exposed ceiling beam and feature fireplace;
- Kitchen: 10 feet by 9 feet 5 inches;
- Rear hall with door to garden and to bathroom;
- Landing with built in cupboard;
- Bedroom 1, 12 feet 8 inches by 11 feet 6 inches;
- Bedroom 2;
- Courtyard garden;
- Off road parking to rear