Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Toddington > The Hare Beerhouse Toddington

The Hare Beerhouse Toddington

The Hare about 1905 [Z1130-126-47a]
The Hare about 1905 [Z1130/126/47a]

The Hare Beerhouse, 54 High Street, Toddington

The Hare beerhouse does not occur in the countywide licensing registers of 1822 to 1828 but 1800s. It closed in 1909 on the recommendation of the Overseers of the Poor for Toddington who were concerned to reduce the number of licensed premises in the village as its population decreased. The Overseers proposed refusing to renew the licenses of the Hare, the Queens Head and the New Inn, but after much discussion only the first two were closed.

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list; entries in italics refer to licensees where either beginning or end, or both, dates are not known: 

1878: John Valentine;
1878-1885: Bernard Whitbread;
1885-1891: John Harris;
1891-1893: Charles Fensome;
1893-1895: George Groves;
1895: Opero Zimmit;
1895-1900: Charles Kendall;
1900-1902: Alfred Tilcock;
1902-1903: Walter Rhoades;
1903-1905: George Moore;
1905: Arthur Medcalf;
1905-1906: Edward Clark;
1906-1907: James Potter;
1907-1908: Robert Graham;
1908-1909: Frederick Arthur Taylor.
Beerhouse closed 1909.