Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Toddington > The White Horse Inn Toddington

The White Horse Inn Toddington

There are a few mentions of this establishment around the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries. In 1798 John Potts of Toddington made his will [WE43]. He was a carpenter and blacksmith and devised a copyhold cottage called the White Horse to his granddaughter Jemima Osborn. He died shortly after making his will. In 1799 Rebecca, wife of Joseph Osborn of Toddington was admitted to the White Horse (described as "formerly Ivory's") at the manor court of the Manor of Toddington [WE44]. She was also admitted to a cottage in Parsonage End, a close of two acres, two cottages in Town End and two in Town End Street.

In 1809 Joseph Osborn leased a cottage in Toddington, formerly known as the White Horse, to James Fletcher, farmer, and Jemima, his wife. The lease was for fifteen years at rent of £20 per annum [WE113]. Later tradition placed the inn near the Pond.