Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Toddington > Conger Cottage Toddington

Conger Cottage Toddington

Conger Cottage June 2015
Conger Cottage June 2015

Conger Cottage was built in the 18th century, originally as two separate cottages. It was listed in 1980 by the former Department of the Environment as Grade II, of special interest. It is built of red brick with some vitrified headers and has an old clay tile roof.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. At this time Conger Cottage had been combined with Conger House and Conger Villa into a single residence known as Conger House. The property was owned by A. W. Smith and occupied by Doctor R. F. M. Fawcett at a rent of £55p.a. on a nine year lease of which six years had expired [DV1/C82/137]. The accommodation provided included:

  • Downstairs: Three reception rooms; surgery; kitchen; scullery; larder; pantry; lumber room
  • Upstairs: 6 bedrooms; dressing room; bathroom
  • Outside: Brick and slate coach house and stable; timber and thatch garage and harness room.

The house had a poor staircase, oil lamps, water from a pump, and central heating on the ground floor only; it had no garden. The valuer described it as a "rambling house in poor position … most inconvenient … lovely front, very poor at back."