25 Church Square Toddington
25 Church Square April 2016
This 17th century house and the barn to the rear were listed by the former Department of the Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. Built on a T plan it is of colour-washed brick with mock timber-framing to the first floor. It has an old clay tile roof, half-hipped to the right. The ground floor has a bow window to the right. To the rear is a one storey extension. Behind the property lying adjacent to Park Road is a small timber-framed and weather-boarded 18th century barn with a thatched roof.
Originally an inn belonging to the Manor of Toddington known as the Old Red Lion by the middle of the 19th century the property had become a shop owned by a tallow chandler who also dealt in British wines. The premises were later occupied by John Odell and his son Arthur, both cabinet makers. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. When the valuation was carried out for Toddington 25 Church Square was owned and occupied by Arthur Odell. It is described as a stucco and tile, end of terrace property, with three reception rooms and a kitchen downstairs, and four bedrooms upstairs. Outbuildings were a stucco and tile workshop and a brick, timber and thatch store [DV1/C85/147].
When 25 Church Square was put up for sale in 2013 the accommodation included:
- Ground floor: Porch, entrance hall, living room, dining room, drawing room, kitchen, rear lobby, inner hallway, cloakroom, two offices with their own lobby, kitchen area and WC.
- First floor: Master bedroom with dressing room, bedroom with ensuite shower room, two further bedrooms, and bathroom.
- Basement: Boiler room and cellar.
25 Church Square seen from Park Road April 2016