21 to 25 Market Square Toddington
21 to 25 Market Square March 2016
These three terraced properties were listed in 1980 by the former Department of the Environment as Grade II, of special interest. Built in the 18th century they are faced in roughcast with a slate roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. When Toddington was valued numbers 21 and 23 were known as The Poplars. These two brick, slate and stucco houses were both were owned by W. J. Seymour, who occupied number 21 and leased number 23 to Mrs. Rushton for four shillings per week, an increase on the pre-War rent of 2s 6d. Number 21 had three living rooms, a scullery and three bedrooms, with a timber and corrugated iron workshop, a small green house and timber and tile barn and earth closet outside. The valuer described it as "awful" [DV1/C83/36]. Number 23 had a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms, with a timber and tile barn and earth closet and a very small garden [DV1/C83/37]. Although attached to number 23 at this time number 25 formed part of Earl's Court, a courtyard of five small cottages which was owned by the trustees of Mrs. E. Johnston. With the exception of number 25 Market Square, Earls Court was demolished in the 1930s. Number 25, which consisted only of a living room, a bedroom and a cellar, was occupied by H. Shelton at a rent of 2s per week [DV1/C83/38].