Camestone School Kempston
Camestone Lower School
Camestone Lower School was created in 1977 as a replacement for Up End Lower School, which had been burned down. Camestone is the name by which Kempston was known in the Domesday Book of 1086.
Lower Schools were created by the local education authority, Bedfordshire County Council, in the 1970s as part of a comprehensive reorganisation. Lower schools cater for children aged five to nine, middle schools for those aged nine to thirteen and upper school for students aged thirteen to eighteen.
On 1st April 2009 Bedfordshire County Council was abolished. Its functions in the north of the county were taken over by Bedford Borough Council. This was a district, or second tier, authority which was upgraded to a unitary council with both first and second tier responsibilities – a county and district council rolled into one. It this became Kempston’s local education authority.
The following list gives all the sources relating to Camestone Lower School held by Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service. Due to the terms of the Data Protection Act records containing personal details of living individuals will be closed in total, or in part, depending on the nature of the information.
- CA2/901: file on construction of school: 1974-1982;
- PY/E3/1/9: short-term lettings: 1975-1976;
- SDKempstonCamestone1/1: school logbook: 1977-1990;
- E/ME6/1/5: applications for Section 11 funded posts at school: 1980s;
- PY/E2/2/294: property management file – tenancy agreements: 1980-1982;
- E/TE3/4: staff details: 1981;
- E/TE3/7: staff details: 1986;
- E/PM6/2/1: answers to questionnaire on corporal punishment: 1986;
- E/ME6/1/5: applications for funding for multicultural education: 1987-1990;
- E/ME6/1/6: applications for funding for multicultural education: 1987-1993;
- E/MS3/2/2: kitchen and other details: c.1987.