Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Toddington > Toddington Chantries

Toddington Chantries

The south transept of the church June 2015
The south transept of the church June 2015

In 1245-6 William de Riston was presented by Paulinus Peyvre to a chantry in the chapel of Saint Bartholomew at Chalton or in the chapel of Saint. John the Baptist in the court (i.e. the manor house) of Paulinus at Toddington. He was to receive the tithes of Chalton, which had been granted to Paulinus by the Abbot of La Couture who held the advowson of Toddington. In the same year Paulinus also presented Alexander of Brackley as chaplain to the chapel of Saint John, providing for him with a grant of the tithes of Fancott and the eastern and southern parts of Toddington; in return for this he was to celebrate Mass at the altar of Blessed Mary in the parish of Toddington. Paulinus made a third presentation in the same year of Hugh of Pulloxhill to the chantry in the chapel of Saint  John the Baptist in his court at Toddington. This time the tithes given for his support came from Herne and the western and northern parts of Toddington. There was also a chantry chapel of Saint James in Toddington church, located in the south transept.

Following the establishment of these chantry priests by Paulinus Peyvre the benefice remained divided into several portions and institutions to  these chantries are recorded in the registers of the diocese of Lincoln. These continue for Saint  John's chantry until 1488, with a gap from 1353 to 1435. At the last institution to the chantry in the chapel of St. John the Baptist it is described as being situated in the enclosure of the court formerly of Paulinus Peyvre. At that time it was joined with the chantry for the soul of Roger de Beauchamp in the church of Sandy, on account of the poorness of each.

Below is a list of the various chantry priests.

Chantry of Saint John the Baptist

  • Hugh de Pullokeshull, chaplain: 1244;
  • John Laurence;
  • John de Clophull, priest, on the resignation of John Laurence: 13th June 1353;
  • John Skynner;
  • John Deye, priest, on the death of John Skynner: 1st June 1435
  • John Heremite, on the resignation of John Dey: 13th April 1452;
  • Robert Wygley, chaplain: 11th July 1458
  • John Hawton, priest, on the resignation of Robert Wigle:: 8th September 1459
  • Thomas Freston - 30 Sep 1488, chaplain, with the chantry of Sandy annexed: 30th September 1488;
  • Gregory Popley, chaplain, on the death of Thomas Freston: 8th March 1505;
  • William Borowe, chaplain, to a portion on the death of George Pople: 17th August 1529;
  • Nicholas Hey, chaplain, to a portion on the death of William Borough: 11th July 1532;
  • John Mylwarde, Master of the Hospital of Saint hno the Baptist, Toddington, his portion being recorded as worth 5/6/8 per annum in the Valor Ecclesiasticus: 1534;
  • Thomas Kent, the [chantry now merged into the Rectory: 26th October 1554;
  • John Attwood, clerk, to a portion of tithes formerly of Nicholas Haie: 13th May 1562. 

Chantry of Saint Mary

  • Peter;
  • Richard de Cadindon, chaplain, to a portion on the death of Peter: 28th February 1299;
  • Richard de Sulthorp, clerk, to a portion on the death of Richard de Cadyngton: 13th July 1335;
  • Elias de Ely, acolyte, to a portion on the resignation of Richard de Sulthorp: 15th June 1339;
  • John de Mulneho, priest, to a portion formerly held by Richard de Cadyngton,  on the resignation of Elias de Ely: 16th May 1340;
  • Geoffrey de Seweneston, priest, on the resignation of John de Mulneho: 28th February 1341;
  • William de Woketon, [priest, on the death of Geoffrey de Syneneston: 4th June 1349;
  • John Laurence of Toddington, sub-deacon, on the resignation of William de Woketon: 15th August 1351
  • John de Swanneburne;
  • John Laurence, priest, on the resignation of John de Swanneburne: 13th June 1353;
  • Thomas Warkenethby, priest: 22nd June 1379;
  • Richard Parchemener, chaplain, on the death of Thomas Werkenethby: 20th May 1413;
  • John Tayllour, priest: 8th November 1413;
  • Richard Sampton, Vicar of Steple [Staple Inn?], London, to a portion, in exchange with John Tayllour: 8th December 1416;
  • John Stokes, to a portion, on exchange with Richard Sampton: 20th June 1420;
  • Richard Raufe , Rector of Shelewe Borrele [Shellow Bowells], London, to a portion, on exchange with John Stokes: 16 December 1421;
  • John Lee - 9 Mar 1422, Rector of Ibrington [Ibberton, Dorset?], to a portion on exchange with Richard Rauf: 9th March 1423;
  • Walter Dey;
  • Thomas Synge, priest, to a portion on the death of Walter Dey: 6th May 1482;
  • Thomas Browne, priest, to a portion on the death of Thomas Shynge: 23rd May 1506.

Chantry of Saint James  

  • William Mustell;
  • Simon Chamberleyn, on death of William Mustell, who died in February 1391 beyond the sea: 19th May 1391;
  • Richard Janyn, chaplain, on the resignation of Simon Chaumberleyn: 6th April 1400;
  • William Michell, priest, on the death of Richard Janyn: 9th June 1439;
  • John Hatherley, priest, to a portion on resignation of William Mychell: 10th October 1461;
  • John Stanwey, to a portion on the death of John Hatherley: 31st March 1473;
  • William Ryppon;
  • William Michell, to a portion on the resignation of William Ryppon; 11th July 1478;
  • Richard Lenson, to a portion on the death of William Michell: 30th March 1479;
  • John Nyxon, priest: 20th June 1485;
  • John Broughton;
  • Aueredus Saunder, priest, to a portion on the resignation of John Nykson: 9th May 1493;
  • Robert Forman MA, to a portion on the death of Aueredus Saundre: 23rd November 1493
  • John Berege, clerk, on the resignation of Robert Forman: 23rd August 1501;
  • John Denet, chaplain, a to portion on the resignation of John Bargard: 26th August 1532;
  • William Dixson, clerk, to a portion on the death of John Devett: 22nd May 1539;
  • Robert Dauson MA, to a portion which John Devett lately held, on the  death of the last incumbent: 5th October 1546.