4 to 8 Conger Lane Toddington
4 to 8 Conger Lane from the south-east March 2016
This terrace of three double-fronted cottages was listed by the former Department of the Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. Built of red brick in the 18th century and later altered, they have a half-hipped old clay tile roof and six Yorkshire casement windows.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. When the valuation was carried out for Toddington the three houses were owned by the executors of Benjamin Bennett [DV1/C83/15-17]. All three consisted of two living rooms and a scullery downstairs, two bedrooms upstairs, and a timber and corrugated iron barn and earth closet outside. Number 4 was occupied by Mrs Nicholas at a rent of 5s per week. Numbers 6 and 8 were occupied by Henry Atkinson and William Franklin respectively; the rent for both was 15s monthly, increased from 11s 11d monthly before the First World War.