40 and 42 Market Square Toddington
Barclays Bank in 1973 [X693/4]
This pair of mid-19th century pair of house was listed by the former Department of the Environment as Grade II, of special interest. They have four sash windows with glazing bars under gauged brick heads. There is a first floor band and the door has a cut-bracketed hood.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Number 40 was described as a brick and slate end of terrace, with parlour, living room, kitchen and scullery on the ground floor and two bedrooms on each of the floors above. It had a cellar, a brick and tile barn, and an earth closet. The house was owned by Miss Horley and was currently vacant. It was in good condition [DV1/C85/47].
Number 42, then owned by Mrs Hunt and occupied by Barclay's Bank (as was 2 High Street), consisted of the bank premises and a house occupied by the caretaker. The bank was a single room of 17 feet by 12 feet. The house consisted of two downstairs rooms, 2 rooms and a landing with a work room on the first floor and the same on the second floor. The valuer commented "Corner site. Just the place for a Bank." [DV1/C85/46].