Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Toddington > 17 and 19 Market Square Toddington

17 and 19 Market Square Toddington

17 and 19 Market Square March 2016
17 and 19 Market Square March 2016

17 and 19 Market Square were listed by the former Department of the Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. Originally built in the 17th century there is a rear timber-frame with colour-washed brick noggin (infill between the timbers). The 18th century front block is roughcast with three sash windows with glazing bars and a central ground floor canted bay. The property has a hipped slate roof.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. When the valuation was carried out for Toddington the northern, left hand property, number 17, was owned and occupied by Harry Ayres. Downstairs it had two living rooms, a kitchen and a scullery; upstairs were five bedrooms, two of them very small. The outbuildings were a brick and tile warehouse and a stable for two, and a timber and corrugated iron coach house. Although the house was described as "very poor" it was also said to have good bedroom accommodation [DV1/ C83/33]. Number 19 was also owned by Harry Ayres, it was let to William Shaw for £8 per annum. The smaller of the two properties, it had two living rooms and a scullery downstairs and three bedrooms upstairs, but no outbuildings [DV1/C83/34].