Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Toddington > 11 Station Road Toddington

11 Station Road Toddington

11 Station Road March 2016
11 Station Road March 2016

Number 11 Station Road, also known as The Old Bird Farm, was built in the 18th century but has since been extensively altered. A double-fronted two-storey house of whitewashed brick, it has a plaster façade with a mock timber frame to the first floor and a concrete tile roof. Mesolithic flints consisting of a core tablet, a blade and a crested blade have been found on this site.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. When 11 Station Road was surveyed it was owned by a Mrs Hunt and occupied by Arthur Brazier for the pre-war rent of 7 shillings per week [DV1/C82/39]. The house had two living rooms and a kitchen downstairs, three bedrooms and an attic upstairs, and a cellar. The outbuildings consisted of a timber and thatch barn and an earth closet. The property was described as "bad".

When the property was sold in 2014 it had been considerably extended. It now included a study and living room at the front, both with inglenook fireplaces, with an open plan dining and sitting room behind opening into a kitchen/breakfast room with an adjoining cloakroom. Behind the kitchen was a garage leading into an office with a kitchen area and cloakroom. To the left of the kitchen an annexe was used as a playroom. Upstairs were two bedrooms to the front and a bathroom. The bedroom to the left had previously been two separate bedrooms At the rear the upstairs landing opened into a modern extension to the rear, with a master bedroom leading into a Jack & Jill en-suite which in turn lead into an annexe bedroom with stairs leading down to the playroom below.