Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Hockliffe > Turpin Cottage Hockliffe

Turpin Cottage Hockliffe

Turpin Cottage February 2013
Turpin Cottage February 2013

Turpin Cottage, which is situated on the west side of Watling Street to the north of the Leighton and Woburn Road junctions, was listed by the former Department of the Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. According to the listing text the property is of one storey with attics; architectural features are colourwashed bricks, an old clay tile roof, and two gabled dormers. It is believed to date from the seventeenth century with later alterations. [HER6418]

Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. When Hockliffe was assessed in 1926 the property now Turpin Cottage was three separate dwellings. These were each extremely small, with a living room and scullery downstairs and a bedroom in the roof. The shared the use of a wash house and the middle and right hand properties (as viewed from the road) shared a barn. All three were owned by A. E. Muckleston; working from left to right they were occupied by Miss E. Jenkins, G. Fleckney, and J. Barker, who each paid a weekly rent of 2/6. [DV1/C201/38-40]