1 and 2 Woburn View Hockliffe
1 and 2 Woburn View February 2013
Woburn View is situated on the corner of Watling Street and Leighton Road, opposite the Woburn Road junction. The two semi-detached cottages were listed by the former Department of the Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing describes them as of late seventeenth or early eighteenth century construction, of grey brick with red brick dressings. The cottages have an old clay tile roof with gable coping.
Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. When Hockliffe was assessed in 1926 the south-easterly cottage (nearer to Leighton Road) had a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above; outside there was a weatherboard and tile barn; the kitchen wall had recently been rebuilt. The owner was Mrs C.J. Kilby and the occupier H. Inwards, who paid 4 shillings rent, an increase from the pre-war figure of 2s 6d [DV1/C201/26]. Mrs Kilby also owned the second cottage, which was rented to W. Horley for the same amount. It also had a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms, with a weatherboard and tile barn and neglected "odd sheds" outside. For both properties the valuer considered the rent "about right". [DV1/C201/27].