Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Hockliffe > Chester Cottage Hockliffe

Chester Cottage Hockliffe

Chester Cottage February 2013
Chester Cottage February 2013

Chester Cottage stands on the eastern side of Watling Street, between White Horse Close and The Blackbirds, in the area formerly part of Chalgrave parish which was transferred to Hockliffe in 1929. The Heritage Environment Record describes the property as a two storey, end of row estate cottage of nineteenth century origin, brick built with a gabled tile roof, a brick chimney shaft, and a selection of sash and casement windows. [HER6424].

Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. The area of Hockliffe formerly in Chalgrave was assessed in 1926. Chester Cottage was owned by J. Edwards and let to H. R. Fuller at a weekly rent of 6 shillings, a significant increase on the pre-war rent of 2s 6d. Downstairs the cottage had a reception room, a living room, a kitchen, a scullery and a larder; upstairs were three bedrooms. Outbuildings were a brick and slate earth closet and washhouse, and a brick, weatherboard and slate barn. The property was described as "poor" with a very low roof [DV1/C15/32].