Warden Lodge March 2008
The name of this property is misleading - it is just within the parish of Southill, the boundary running along the north and east of the property. It served as a lodge cottage to Southill Park and was built in the mid 19th century from yellow brick, with red brick dressings, in a faintly railway style. It was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest.
In 1927 Southill was valued under the Rating Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting Warden Lodge [DV1/A24/8a] noted that the house was owned by the Whitbread Estate and occupied by V.Bond. The cottage comprised two living rooms, a kitchen and scullery and two bedrooms with a barn outside.