17 and 18 Warden Road Southill
17 and 18 Warden Road March 2008
17 and 18 Warden Road stand at the junction of that road with Warden Road, facing the church. The building was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1966 as Grade II, of special interest. The Department considered the structure to date from both the 17th and 18th century. The earlier part is to the south and is timber-framed with a colour-washed rough-cast render and a clay tile roof. The red brick northern block is the 18th century element and has a chequered brick front elevation and also has a clay tile roof. This block has two storeys and attics whereas the older part has a single storey with attics.
In 1927 Southill was valued under the Rating Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting 17 and 18 Warden Road [DV1/C32/100-101] noted that the houses were owned by the Whitbread Estate and occupied by Mrs.Burr and H.Webb, respectively.
Number 17 comprised a parlour and scullery with two bedrooms upstairs and a barn and earth closet, with a copper for heating water outside. The valuer noted: "Small garden; attic bedrooms; old house; water from main". Number 18 had two parlours and a scullery with four bedrooms upstairs and also had a barn, earth closet and copper outside. The valuer noted: "Now one cottage was two; old cottage; bad slope; pretty; good garden".