43 to 46 High Street Southill
43 to 46 High Street January 2012
43 to 46 High Street is a row of four Southill Estate cottages. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The row was built by W. H. Whitbread in 1855 in yellow brick with red brick dressings. The row has a clay tiled roof and comprises two storeys and attics. The listing notes: "Included for group value".
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the row [DV1/C32/136-139] found that each dwelling contained a parlour, a kitchen, a pantry with a copper for heating water and a sink and had two bedrooms upstairs with one attic ("good") above. A small barn stood outside each. The cottages were occupied as follows:
- Number 43: Mrs. E. Sweet paying rent of £5/15/4 per annum;
- Number 44: F. Halton paying £6/1/6 per annum;
- Number 45: C. Faulkner paying £6/1/6 per annum;
- Number 46: G. Longhurst paying £6/6/- per annum.
The valuer commented: "very good cottages". He thought: "Rent seems low" and noted: "Each house has small porch"