63 High Street Southill
63 High Street March 2008
63 High Street is one of a number of attractive thatched estate cottages in Southill; it stands south of the High Street and end on to it. The building was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1966 as Grade II, of special interest. It was built in the 18th century and so is more likely to have been erected by the Southill Estate during its ownership by the Byng family from 1693 to 1795, than by the Whitbread family.
The cottage is timber-framed with a colour-washed rough-cast render over it. It has a two room plan and one storey with bedrooms in the attics. An additional lower block has been added to the southern gable end.
In 1927 Southill was valued under the Rating Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting 63 High Street [DV1/C124/43] noted that it was owned by the Whitbread Estate and tenanted by N.Handscombe at £4/12/2 per annum. The property stood in just under a quarter of an acre and comprised a living room, kitchen, pantry and two bedrooms with a wash-house and barn outside. The valuer noted: "Bedrooms in roof. Was two cottages. Slope up".