66 to 68 High Street Southill
66 to 68 High Street January 2012
66 to 68 High Street is a block of Southill Estate cottages. The block was listed by the former Department of Environment in October 1966 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the early 19th century but noted that they were a reworking of an earlier building that may, thus, pre-date the Whitbread family's purchase of the estate in 1795.
The block has a timber-framed construction with colourwashed roughcast render to the exterior and clay tiled roofs with bands of fishscale tiles to central block for ornamentation. The block comprises one storey and attics with a gabled cross-wing to the left and right hand sides. The cross wings are slightly taller than the central block.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the block [DV1/C124/46-48] gave the following details:
- Number 66 was occupied by Miss R. Dilley who paid annual rent of £3/19/2 to the Southill estate for a living room, a kitchen, a scullery and two bedrooms.
- Number 67 was in the occupation of S. Gray whose rent was £3/18/6 per annum for a living room, a scullery and three bedrooms. The valuer noted: "two bedrooms over next door" and commented: "badly arranged".
- Number 68 was inhabited by Nurse Minard whose rent was included in her wages. She had a living room, a kitchen and scullery and one bedroom. A barn stood outside.
The valuer was unimpressed. He commented: "poor places".