Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Southill > 33 to 36 High Street Southill

33 to 36 High Street Southill

33 to 36 High Street about 1920
33 to 36 High Street about 1920

At the time of writing the Post Office in Southill is at 55 High Street. This has been the case since at least the mid 1960s. In the 1920s, however, Southill Post Office was in 34 High Street, one of the middle dwellings in this terrace of four. The terrace was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1966 as Grade II, of special interest. It bears a plaque: W H W 1855 indicating that it was built by William Henry Whitbread in that year. The terrace is constructed of yellow brick with red brick dressings and has a clay tile roof.

In 1927 Southill was valued under the Rating Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting 33 to 36 High Street [DV1/C32/120-123] noted that the four houses were owned by the Whitbread Estate and occupied by William Samuels, W.W.Woodcraft, Mrs.Allison and William Hatton, respectively, at the respective rents of £7/16/0, £7/16/-, £5/15/4 and £6/1/6 per annum. All were similar inside, having a parlour, kitchen and pantry downstairs with two bedrooms above; outside each had a barn with a cooper for heating water and a sink, "fairly new" noted the valuer. Number 34 differed in that the Post Office occupied the room used in the rest of the terrace as a kitchen.