Squirrels January 2012
Squirrels used to be called Warden Lodge. It is a rather lonely dwelling along the thickly wooded road from Old Warden to Southill. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the early 18th century and is one of a pair of lodges belonging to Old Warden Park.
The lodge was reworked in the early 19th century in the cottage ornée style. It is built of colourwashed roughcast render over a timber frame and has a thatched roof, hipped at the west end. It comprises one storey and attics, "the rounded room at the west end probably a later addition". There are 20th century lean-to additions to the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the lodge [DV1/A24/8c-b] found it divided into two – east to west. The western portion was inhabited by R. Scott who paid rent of four guineas per annum for a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms. The valuer commented: "poor". The eastern portion was identical and occupied by J. T. Johnson £4/4/- for an identical rent.