The Fishing Temple Southill
The Fishing Temple in 1982 [Z50/106/15]
The Fishing temple and its attendant cottage lie on the Warden Road, just within the bounds of Southill Park overlooking a large lake. It is also known simply as The Temple. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1952 as Grade II*, of special interest and particularly important. It was built about 1800 by Henry Holland for Samuel Whitbread II as part of his remodelling of the main house and its grounds.
The Fishing Temple and Cottage seen from the road March 2008
The building is constructed of a light mottled brick with ashlar and stucco over the top and has slate roofs. It is described as: "a small rectangular Tuscan temple flanked by screen walls to west and east". The small cottage is attached to the west end, almost as if it were a house for the priest. The front is described as: "a tetrastyle pedimented port-cochere".