Southill School in 1904
Southill School July 2007
Bedfordshire County Council became Local Education Authority for the county in 1903, following the Education Act 1902. In 1904 the County Surveyor reported on the condition of all the council and voluntary schools in the county under LEA control, excluding those on Bedford and Luton Boroughs which had their own executive arrangements. The surveyor reported in the format below.
These are brick buildings with stone dressings and tiled roof to new buildings, and thatched roof to old building.
They are comprised of a spacious, lofty, airy, and light new room, coupled up by sliding doors with the old thatched room, which is a relic of a Robert Raikes Sunday School.
New Room 47 feet 9 inches by 25 feet.
The windows here are lofty, with top parts made to open. It is warmed by an 18 inch tortoise stove.
The floor is of larch wood, rather worn.
This room is in very good order.
Old Room 40 feet 9 inches by 15 feet 7 inches.
This is plaster, stud and thatched. The small quarry lights [windows] open. there is a special air inlet in gable. This room should have an Exhaust Ventilator, and four Tobin air inlets.
The larch fir floor boards are thin and poor in places.
Otherwise this room is bright and clean.
These are in very fair order.
These are cleanly, well lighted, airy, pan trapped, pail-flushed closets, also urinals. They are connected with a new system of sewerage recently provided for the village.
The playground gravel was coarse and very loose. The drainage therefrom is through fence to meadow land.
These are good.
The water is obained from pump in yard.
Generally these premises may be said to be very good.