The Shoulder of Mutton Inn Hockliffe
The Shoulder of Mutton was situated in the area on the east side of Watling Street originally part of Chalgrave parish which was transferred to Hockliffe in 1929, immediately to the north of the White Horse Inn [HER 11618]. A deed of 1822 records that The Shoulder of Mutton was owned by Richard Gilpin of Hockliffe Grange, who had purchased it together with an adjoining orchard from John Franklin. It had formerly been two tenements: the first had been in the occupation of Benjamin Cross, then John Cross; the second had been occupied in turn by Thomas Brockhurst, James Prisley and Thomas Read [P103/2/2,3].
- P103/2/2,3: Deed to suffer and declare the uses of a recovery, 1822