The Hall Hockliffe
The Hall February 2013
The Hall stands on the eastern side of Watling Street towards the south-eastern end of the village in the area formerly part of Chalgrave parish which was transferred to Hockliffe in 1929. The property was listed by the former Department of the Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century with later refronting in colourwashed brick. Architectural features include an old clay tile roof, three casement windows with glazing bars, and two ground floor canted bays. Timber-framing is visible on the north gable end [HER6642].
Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. The area of Hockliffe formerly in Chalgrave was assessed in 1926. At this time the Hall was described as a brick, tile and slate detached property with two reception rooms, kitchen and larder on the ground floor with three bedrooms above and a loft over the larder. Outside there was a wood and tile barn and a brick and tile earth closet. The Hall was owned by G. C. Bunker and occupied by E. Blackbond at an annual rent of £12 [DV1/C15/68].