7 Cross End Thurleigh
7 Cross End stands some way back from the road, so that it is partly obscured by modern housing in front of it. The cottage was listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing dates the property to around 1600, with extensive 19th century alterations. This date is consistent with the inclosure map for Thurleigh of 1805 [MA47/3] which shows the property.
The cottage has a substantial timber frame, encased in local red brick. Extension to the south and east are also in this red brick. The house is partly of two storeys and partly of one storey with attics and now forms a T-shape, whereas the 1805 map shows a straightforward linear shape. The roof is 20th century tiles. The listing notes that there is a timber-framed fireplace inside, encased in 20th century alterations.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 legislated that every property and piece of land in the county was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Thurleigh, like most of Bedfordshire, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C73/88] found it was owned by R. Franklin and tenanted by E. M. Thorn who paid rent of £14 per annum for a parlour, living room, kitchen and three bedrooms.