Tarry Cottage - 6 Church End Thurleigh
6 Church End in 1960 [Z53/122/1]
Tarry Cottage, 6 Church End, was listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The cottage is 19th century, after 1805 as it is not shown on the inclosure map for the parish of that date [MA47/2]. It has walls made of clay blocks which have been rendered over with colourwashed plaster. The property has a thatched roof and comprises one storey, originally of two rooms, and attics. A lean-to at the rear is an addition in brick.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 legislated that every building and piece of land in the country was to be appraised to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 6 Church End [DV1/C73/17] discovered that it was owned and occupied by J. Osborne. The cottage comprised a parlour, a living room and a kitchen downstairs, three bedrooms above. Outside stood a barn, a loose box and two stables.
6 Church End - Tarry Cottage End January 2015