Ickwell Lodge Old Warden
Ickwell Lodge March 2008
Old Warden is something of a show village due to the preponderance of attractive cottages; some are tiled, some are thatched, but most are quaint looking and painted in the same livery of cream and white. Most are rendered and some have mock timber framing on the outside (sometimes concealing real timber framing beneath the render!). All look old but many are 19th century. They all belonged to the Shuttleworth Estate as it was known after Joseph Shuttleworth bought the estate in 1872. It had previously been the Ongley estate after Samuel Ongley bought it from Earl Bolingbroke, a member of the Saint John family of Bletsoe, in 1698.
Ickwell Lodge was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest. It was built in 1874 to the designs of the architect of the main house, Henry Clutton. It is built of yellow brick with stone dressings and has a tiled roof. It has a two room plan of one storey and attics and is in the Jacobean style.