15 The Village Old Warden
15 The Village March 2008
15 The Village has the outward appearance of a Shuttleworth Estate cottage. however it is somewhat older. The cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in October 1970 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the early 19th century but noted: "reworking of earlier building probably c.1700".
The cottage is built of colourwashed roughcast render over a timber frame. It has a thatched roof and a plan of three rooms downstairs. The cottage comprises one storey and attics.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 15 The Village [DV1/C34/92] found it occupied by A. Radford who paid the Shuttleworth Estate rent of £4/10/- per annum. It comprised two living rooms, a kitchen, a washhouse and three bedrooms in the attics. The valuer noted: "Barn and [earth] closet up end of garden" and "Stands up on bank".