46 The Village Old Warden
46 The Village March 2008
46 The Village is a cottage on the south-east side of the main road through the village adjoining Jacob's Well. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the mid-19th century. It was probably built by the Ongley family as an estate cottage
The house is built of mottled red brick with a fishscale clay tiled roof. It is built in an L-shape and comprises one storey and attics.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 46 The Village [DV1/C34/113] found it occupied by J. Warren who paid rent of eight guineas per annum to the Shuttleworth Estate, a figure set in 1921
The house contained a kitchen, a parlour, a living room and three bedrooms. Outside stood a barn and earth closet ("too large"). The valuer opined that it was a: "Very nice little place".