30 and 31 The Village Old Warden
30 and 31 The Village March 2008
30 and 31 The Village are classic Shuttleworth Estate cottages, built in 1897. They are very similar externally to 26 and 27 The Village.
The cottages was listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. They are built of colourwashed roughcast render over brick with some applied timber framing. They have half-hipped clay tile roofs with bands of fishscale tiles for ornamentation. The listing comments: "Included for group value".
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottages [DV1/C32/105-106] found them occupied by T. Elliman and E. West respectively, both of whom paid rent of £6/12/- per annum, fixed in 1921.
Each home comprised a kitchen, a bedroom and a living room downstairs, with two more bedrooms upstairs. A barn and an earth closet stood outside each and both shared a washhouse. The valuer commented: "Dormer windows stands well up" and "Bigger than 26 and 27 The Village".