26 and 27 The Village Old Warden
26 and 27 The Village March 2008
26 and 27 The Village stands on a high bank on the south-east side of the main road. They were listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The cottages have a plaque outside dating them to 1881, having been built by the Shuttleworth Estate.
The cottages are built in yellow brick with red brick dressings, the upper part of which has colourwashed render and applied timber framing. The roofs are half hipped and composed of clay tiles with bands of fishscale tiles for ornamentation. Each cottage contained two rooms downstairs with bedrooms in the attics. 20th century single storey additions stand at both ends.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottages [DV1/C34/102-103] found that Number 27 was occupied by J. Pearce and that 26 was in the occupation of Mrs. A. Gwinall. Both paid rent of £6 per annum, set in 1916.
Each cottage comprised a living room, a parlour and a pantry downstairs, with two bedrooms above. A washhouse and an earth closet stood outside. The valuer commented: "Fetch from tap outside" and "Decent stand back from Road. Dormer Windows". He also noted: "Upstairs very attic".