Cottage Between 27 and 30 The Village Old Warden
The cottage between 27 and 30 The Village March 2008
The cottage standing between Numbers 27 and 30 The Village has not always been a dwelling. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest.
The property was built by the Shuttleworth Estate in 1881. It is built of yellow brick with red brick dressings and has a clay tiled roof. It also has terracotta ridge cresting for ornamentation. It is a small rectangular block with a gable projecting to the south and a gabled open porch projecting to the north. It has a single storey.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C34/104] found that it was occupied by the Estate and had been built as a bakehouse, but was "never used now". He also noted: "Dinners used to be cooked here for the village on Sunday".