121 and 123 High Street Eaton Bray
121 and 123 High Street March 2012
121 and 123 are an attractive pair of cottages at the south-east end of the High Street. They are built of brick which has been whitewashed. Each comprises one storey with attics and has a tiled roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Eaton Bray, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the cottages [DV1/C202/149-150] found them with thatched roofs.
Both were owned by Mrs. A. Mead. Number 121was occupied by F. Proctor whose rent was 13/9 per month (it had been 10/- before the First World War). His accommodation comprised two living rooms, a scullery and two bedrooms. The valuer commented: “Newly thatched. Bad at back”. A corrugated iron lean-to barn stood behind the property. There was also a weather-boarded and corrugated iron W. C. The valuer opined: “2 decent Rooms down. Double front”, noting: “less for room in roof but nice type”.
Number 123 was in the occupation of H. Bird who paid rent of 14/- per month; it had been twelve shillings before World War One. He had two living rooms, two sculleries, two bedrooms, a weather-boarded and corrugated iron barn (“large”) and an outside W. C. The valuer noted that the property was larger than Number 121. the fact that it had two living rooms and two sculleries indicates that it had once been divided into two dwellings.