Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Thurleigh > Thurleigh School in 1904

Thurleigh School in 1904

South elevation of the school about 1875 [SB46/6/2]
South elevation of the school about 1875 [SB46/6/2]

Bedfordshire County Council became Local Education Authority for the county in 1903, following the Education Act 1902. In 1904 the County Surveyor reported on the condition of all the council and voluntary schools in the county under LEA control, excluding those on Bedford and Luton Boroughs which had their own executive arrangements [E/SA2/1/1]. The surveyor set out his report on Thurleigh Council School in the format below:

This is a brick building, with stone dressings and tile roof, of good design and construction, and in very fair order, so far as the School rooms and lobbies are concerned. They are well lighted and ample window ventialtors provided. Six Tobin Tubes and two Exhaust Ventilators should be provided.

The rooms measure:

(1) 40 feet by 18 feet;

(2) 20 feet by 16 feet

The large room is warmed by a “Grill” Stove, and the Class room by an open fire.

Front Lobbies

These are in good order.

Back Lobbies

These need repairs and the framing restoring.

Offices

These have been whitened. They are common privies discharging into emptying pits on back ground outside the fence line. I find a portion of this block of Offices is open to the meadow ground, and is used by Stock for shelter; although a very small place.

These Offices should be converted into Earth Closets as they are offensive and poor for a good block of School Buildings.

A Lavatory basin for the open shed is provided for the Girls only.

Water Supply

A Soft Water Tank and Pump is in working order, facing the front Lobbies.

Playgrounds

These are in good order.

A few repairs are necessary to the Roof, Bell Turret and Walling.

This is otherwise a well ordered School.

The Ash Tree should be cut quite clear of building, as it has damaged the roof.

The estimated cost of works required were £80 for the sanitary improvements and £9.4s.10d for general works.