Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Thurleigh > Sources for Education in Thurleigh

Sources for Education in Thurleigh

Thurleigh School in 1951 [Z55/1/75]
Thurleigh School in 1951 [Z55/1/75]

The following list gives all the sources relating to education in Thurleigh held by Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service. Due to the terms of the Data Protection Act records containing personal details of living individuals will be closed in total, or in part, depending on the nature of the information.

  • ABP/R15 f.142d: will of William Franklin leaving money for a clerk to teach the children: 1558;
  • L15/16; Schole End mentioned in a deed: 1604;
  • CCE739/10: will of George Franklin: 1618;
  • FN1254 p. 233: payments to the school: 1627;
  • A History of Thurleigh Board School 1870-1901;
  • SDThurleigh1/1: logbook: 1870-1903;
  • SB46/5: school plans: c. 1873-1876;
  • SB46/1: School Board minutes: 1875-1903;
  • P97/25/1/1: letter by the vicar to the education department about the proposed new school buildings: 1876;
  • E/SA3/1/1: tabulated returns of pupils under the Factory and Workshop Act 1878: 1879;
  • SB46/5: School Board byelaws: 1880;
  • SB46/3: School Board cash book: 1899-1903;
  • P97/25/1/2: school estate statements of account: 1900-1903;
  • SB46/2: School Board financial statement: 1901-1903;
  • SB46/4: report of the School Board clerk to Bedfordshire County Council: 1903;
  • SDThurleigh1/2: logbook: 1903-1934;
  • P97/25/1/4: Charity Commission ruling that all the George Franklin Charity monies were to be applied to educational purposes: 1904;
  • E/TE5/1: details of teachers: 1904-1908;
  • P97/25/1/5-7: Board of Education Scheme and Charity Commission order for George Franklin Charity: 1906;
  • E/TE5/2: details of teachers: 1908-1912;
  • E/IN1/1: inspector’s reports for the school: 1911-1938;
  • P97/25/1/8: renovation of the school house: 1917;
  • P97/25/1/10: insurance on the school estate and its buildings: 1921;
  • P97/25/1/9: condition of the school house: 1922;
  • P97/25/1/9: lease of the school house: 1930;
  • P97/25/1/12: synopsis of George Franklin’s Charity: 1932;
  • E/PM3/1/4N: evacuee school attendance register: 1939;
  • RDBP3/407: plans for canteen and drainage: 1944;
  • Z55/1/91/29: school negative: 1950s;
  • Z55/1/74-77: school photographs: 1951;
  • CA2/714: file on additional land: 1964-1969;
  • CA2/435: buildings file – re-modelling and extensions: 1971-1976;
  • PCThurleigh26/1-2 reports on the school: 1973-1974;
  • PY/PH163/1: slide of school exterior: c. 1980;
  • PCThurleigh26/3: details of numbers of children: 1980;
  • E/TE3/4: return of teaching staff: 1981;
  • PCThurleigh14/7: proposed footpath access to the school: 1981-1982
  • PCThurleigh26/4-5: correspondence regarding staffing cuts: 1982-1986;
  • E/TE3/7: return of teaching staff: 1986;
  • E/MS3/2/1: kitchen and other details: c. 1987