16 and 18 High Street Thurleigh
16 and 18 High Street 1974 [Z50/122/14]
16 and 18 High Street were listed by the former Department of Environment in October 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The property dates from the 17th century, though it was extended in the 19th century. The earlier part lies to the south and is timber-framed with a coating of roughcast. The north wing is 19th century and built of brick, again with a roughcast render. The house is built in an L-shape and comprises one storey and attics beneath a thatched roof.
In 1912 Francis Crawley put his Thurleigh and Keysoe estates up for sale by auction. The particulars [X65/74] list Bury Farm as Lot 3. Included in this lot were three cottages and gardens. One, of stucco and thatch had two bedrooms, a lobby, a living room and a pantry with a coal barn in the garden (14 High Street). The other two (16 and 18 High Street) were brick and thatch, one with two bedrooms, two downstairs rooms and a coal barn, the other with one bedrooms, a living room and a pantry.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottages [DV1/C73/115-116] found that they were both owned by W. Ross, the tenant of Bury Farm, who presumably bought them in 1912. Number 16 was occupied by Mrs Smith who paid rent of £4 per annum for a living room and bedroom. The valuer commented: "Quite nice" and "small but quite good bedroom in roof". Number 18 was in the occupation of J Askew who paid three shillings per week for a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms.
14 and 16-18 High Street 1974 [Z50/122/15]