Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Old Warden > Warren Lodge Old Warden

Warren Lodge Old Warden

Warren Lodge about 1900
Warren Lodge about 1900 [Z50/129/95]

Old Warden is something of a show village due to the preponderance of attractive cottages; some are tiled, some are thatched, but most are quaint looking and painted in the same livery of cream and white. Most are rendered and some have mock timber framing on the outside (sometimes concealing real timber framing beneath the render!). All look old but many are 19th century. They all belonged to the Shuttleworth Estate as it was known after Joseph Shuttleworth bought the estate in 1872. It had previously been the Ongley estate after Samuel Ongley bought it from Earl Bolingbroke, a member of the Saint John family of Bletsoe, in 1698.

Warren Lodge was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1970 as Grade II, of special interest. It was built for the 3rd Baron Ongley in the early 19th century in the "cottage ornée style" so apparent elsewhere in the village. It is colour-washed rough-cast render over brick and has a thatched roof. It is a single storey building comprising a narrow rectangular block with a canted projection to the south and a rectangular projection north.

 Warren Lodge March 2008
Warren Lodge March 2008

In 1872 Old Warden Park was sold by Robert, 3rd Baron Ongley by private contract to Joseph Shuttleworth. The sale catalogue of the time [X65/61] noted that Warren Lodge was in occupation of William Willsher and William Wells at £3 per annum rent each.

In 1927 the dwellings of Old Warden were valued under the Rating Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting Warren Lodge [DV1/C34/118] found it owned by the Shuttleworth Estate, tenanted by W.Bryant at £6/16/0 per annum and standing in 0.307 acres. The building comprised two bedrooms, a living room, parlour and pantry and was dubbed, a little anachronistically, a bungalow. Outside stood a barn and wash-house and an earth closet. The valuer commented: "Not really a Lodge. Drive seldom used. Nice place on corner. Funny shape". Water came from a tap across the road.