47 and 48 The Village Old Warden
47 and 48 The Village March 2008
47 and 48 The Village is a pair of Shuttleworth Estate cottages standing on the south-east side of the road through the village, adjoining Jacob's Well. The pair was listed by the former Department of Environment in October 1970 as Grade II, of special interest. The department noted: "probably a reworking of an earlier building".
The structure is colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame with a clay tiled roof. There are decorative clay ridge cresting and finials. The building comprises a single storey with attics.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 47 and 48 The Village [DV1/C34/114-115] found Number 47 occupied by G. Bryant and Number 48 in the occupation of W. Saunderson. Both had paid rent of £3/2/- per annum since 1921.
Each dwelling comprised a living room, a scullery and two bedrooms. Outside stood a barn and an earth closet. Water from tap in yard, so Jacob's Well was evidently now just a decorative feature. The valuer commented of the structure: "Nice but low".