38 and 39 The Village Old Warden
All that can be seen of 38 and 39 The Village from the road February 2012
38 and 39 The Village are set high up on a bank on the south-east side of the road running through the village. High hedges along the road mean that they are not easily seen. They were listed by the former Department of Environment in October 1970 as Grade II, of special interest.
The pair of cottages, like others in the village, were created in their current form by the Ongley family in the early 19th century but are probably a reworking of an earlier building. They are built of colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame and have thatched roofs. They comprise just a single storey. Later additions lie to the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting today's 38 and 39 The Village found they were a single dwelling in the occupation of C. Wells who paid £5/13/- per annum to the Shuttleworth Estate, a rent set in 1921.
The dwelling comprised three bedrooms, two living rooms, a pantry and a scullery. Two good barns lay outside. The valuer commented: "Is a Bungalow". He noted: "Was two cottages now one" and found the property: "Very pretty".